Work Accident FAQ

People are often surprised at the complications that can come with a workplace accident case. There may be a variety of claims options available, depending on the situation. It can be difficult to figure out where to even start in these matters. You will have questions. At the Smith Law Firm in Orange, Texas, we have answers.

You can get in touch with us to discuss any specific questions. For now, here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about work accident claims:

Do I Need To Report The Work Injury To My Employer?

Reporting an on-the-job injury to your employer may be an important first step in pursuit of a workers' compensation claim. It may not be required for a personal injury claim, but not reporting your injury may undermine your case.

Should I File A Workers' Compensation Claim Or Personal Injury Claim?

You may be able to file a workers' compensation claim, a personal injury claim or both, depending on the situation.

A workers' compensation claim can be filed for any type of on-the-job accident, regardless of fault. A personal injury claim can only be filed if the accident was the result of negligence on the part of a third party or, in other words, a party other than your employer. That party could be a contractor working under a different employer, an equipment manufacturer or a property owner, for example.

Is A Personal Injury Claim Better Than A Workers' Comp Claim?

Workers' compensation benefits include coverage of medical treatment and compensation for a portion of wages lost. A personal injury claim, on the other hand, can allow you to get compensation for medical bills, all lost wages and even for the pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of being injured on the job.

Will I Need Two Different Lawyers?

In the event that you are going to pursue both a personal injury claim and a workers' compensation claim, our lawyers will handle the personal injury matter and work in tandem with your workers' compensation counsel as needed.

Should I Have An Attorney Review My Case?

While you can handle your work accident case on your own, you may find an attorney beneficial. In particular, you may want to have a personal injury attorney review your case if you suspect a third party may have been at fault, because that attorney may see opportunities that one who strictly practices workers' compensation may not be aware of.

There is no obligation to pay a lawyer upfront, as these cases are handled on a contingency basis. The process starts with a free consultation. Call 409-233-7005 or email.

For answers to additional questions, review the personal injury FAQ.